- Blogging keeps the creativity flowing. Writer's block is a tough thing to deal with when you're writing something as developed and unpredictable as a cozy mystery. A blog post a day keeps the writer's block away!
- Blogging raises awareness. Most cozy mystery authors are getting just enough marketing and promotional-related benefits from their publisher to get by on--but blogging introduces a whole new audience. Tech-savvy readers who enjoy getting a daily dose of wisdom from their favorite mystery author are far more likely to pick up your book than someone who saw it sitting on a bookstore shelf.
- Blogging helps create, maintain, and achieve goals. For a writer who likes to procrastinate, the concept of goals is a helpful, but difficult one. By giving yourself a blogging deadline, reminding yourself of your waiting audience, and getting your posts done on time, it's easier to make and accomplish goals.
- Blogging builds your presence. As much as all the cozy mystery authors want cozy mysteries to become the new great American novel, sadly, they're not the most widely read books out there. With that in mind, a cozy mystery author needs to present themselves to the world, not wait for the world to be presented to them--and blogging does exactly that.
- Blogging helps shape a distinct voice. One of the biggest struggles of most writers is to develop a unique writing voice. Often when blogging, the exact thoughts bloggers are thinking at that moment tend to seep through, and so does a writer's personality. When this happens, a blogger creates their own voice, and when that voice is transferred to their cozy mystery, the result is a singularly unique piece of writing.
What are your thoughts on blogging? Leave a comment and share, please.